To improve your English is a challenge at first. It takes four years for a kid to start using their native language properly. In other words, learning a language is a slow and steady process.
At first, a lot of people have no idea how to start learning English. Considering there are a lot of things to master. All this time that you have spent inspecting for the right way to learn, you could have learnt something. Always remember, anything you learn never goes to waste, so learning should be your top priority.
In this post, we’ll talk about the few things that you should learn in order to have s strong foundation.
Primarily, the essence of any language is its alphabets. One can’t master their skills in any language without knowing its alphabet. As we know English has 26 letters, which begin from A and continue till Z. Learning the alphabets are the foundation for your speaking, reading and writing skills. It gives us the advantage of knowing how letters are pronounced. This understanding of pronunciation helps us to differentiate letters and make meaningful words. Most alphabets have similar-looking letters however their pronunciation and uses are notably different. For instance, the basic alphabets in English and Spanish have similar alphabets but have distinct uses and pronunciations.
Definition of alphabets: According to Oxford, alphabets are a set of letters or symbols in a fixed order used to represent the basic set of speech sounds of a language, especially the set of letters from A to Z. By this, it is evident that alphabets are symbols with fixed sounds that help us form a word.
Why alphabets are essential for communication?
Communication is the foundation of languages. People back in time used only their rhythm and sound for communication. As time passed people found the need to write down their ideology for the coming generation. This made people use symbols to write and communicate. Carrying the same legacy, two or more symbols or alphabets together form a word. In today’s world, people use social media to stay connected with their loved ones, which makes it even more essential to know alphabets, as everything on the internet is written and consists of alphabets.
2. Learn basic grammar
The next important thing is to learn some grammar. Having good grammar knowledge is important as it makes us use the language effectively and correctly. Good grammar helps us communicate clearly. “the better the grammar, the clearer the message is conveyed”. There are eight parts of speech that help to make a complete sentence. The parts of speech are noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, conjunction preposition and interjection. It is essential for you to start learning these parts of speeches. At first, start with basic grammar, you can learn detailed grammar as you advance in your learning journey.
Why should you focus on grammar?
- Good grammar helps you communicate clearly when you communicate with someone through texts or email.
- Having good grammar means that you apply and use correct grammar rules which makes you sound confident.
- Helps you become fluent while speaking.
- Helps you gain credibility
- Makes you sound more professional
- Improves your skills of impression
3. Make the most of technology to improve your English
Make the best use of the device in your hand – your mobile. There are so many articles, resources, books in the form of PDFs or videos that you can utilize for free. After the pandemic era, it is very common to take up distance learning.
There are a lot of ways you can improve your English. You can learn or take your first grammar lessons online, or take up a course. You can take a course according to your convenience. Take up an online course if you can’t make time to attend classes offline. Click here to know about online English courses. At English Partner, you can learn English with the help of your native language.
4. Improve your English vocabulary
Without a proper understanding and knowledge of words, it is difficult to communicate or share ideas. Vocabulary is essential for speaking, reading and writing skills. Studies suggest that a person remembers the new vocabulary better if he has done some creative activity using it, like making sentences or using that word in a conversation. This concludes that you learn better when you get creative with the new word rather than just memorising it.
Why is learning vocabulary crucial?
- It gives one the ability to convey his thoughts – By knowing many words, it gets easier for a person to talk about his emotions, share an incident or give an idea or opinion.
- It helps one understand what others are saying – Vocabulary is the foundation of understanding. Unfamiliar words create holes in a person’s understanding, due to which one doesn’t completely understand the other person or doesn’t understand what he is reading.
- It improves a person’s ability to grasp knowledge – The large number of words a person knows, the easier it is for him to understand and share his ideology.
- It helps one make a good impression on others – If a person knows different words and can use them correctly in different situations then he can make a good impression on the people he comes across.
- Good vocabulary makes you fluent – The more words a person knows, the fluently he speaks.
5. Use pre-made sentences
Firstly, pre-made sentences mean sentences that you can directly use from somewhere without making up a sentence in your mind. If you want to start using English as soon as possible then start using pre-made sentences. For instance, use words that you can use in your daily life. For instance, when you are travelling or buying something from grocery stores. You can have a small conversation using basic sentences. These sentences will help you practice and build up confidence.
List of a few basic sentences :
- Hi! I’m [ your name]. And you?
- I’m glad to meet you. / It’s nice to meet you.
- Could you please talk slower?
- Where are you from?
- Thank you so much
- May I know your name?
- Excuse me!
- Pardon me!
- What is the time by your watch?
On the whole, these are a few pre-made sentences that will help you improve your English. You can learn more such sentences by listening to people talk or reading some articles. There are many easy sentences that’ll help you learn. You can learn English and pick up more basic sentences by watching movies. To know how to learn English from movies click here.
6. Start using the language regularly
Next in the row is to start using English on regular basis. As a beginner, it may seem a huge step at first, but it isn’t as difficult as it seems. Speaking is as important as learning vocabulary. When you start speaking, you understand your mistakes and will avoid making the same mistake again. By doing this one can even work on their pronunciation and accent. If you are lucky enough you will have a few native speakers. It is more fun to learn from a friend than to learn in a classroom or on your own. Improve your English by practising your speaking skills regularly.
How to practice spoken English at first?
- Practice a dialogue – You can pick a famous dialogue from a movie. The dialogue should be in English but if you want to practice a dialogue from another language then you can translate or look for its English dub. The next step is to watch the scene. Watch the scene twice or thrice and then try to enact the scene. Make sure you enjoy doing it.
- Talk to a friend online – Make a few friends on social media and text them in English, by doing this you get time to think and make up a sentence before giving a reply.
- Record yourself – Record yourself speaking or reading. You can even record yourself enacting a movie dialogue. This boosts your confidence. Listening to your voice may be a little awkward at first, but you can catch your mistakes which you didn’t realise you earlier made.
- Readout loud – Reading out loud makes one familiar with the way he sounds when he speaks in English. One can read out a speech or a story in front of a mirror.
7. Ask questions
If one wants to improve their English then he must ask questions. Rapid growth comes with curiosity and hard work. Don’t just read rather ask questions, like why is a particular sentence in that particular way. One must ask questions and even look for their answers. Everything that pops on google is not always true, so do some research before accepting an answer. Question breeds more questions which helps you in better learning. When one is curious and is asking questions then it helps them grasp more knowledge and asking questions is a sign of interest. Remember, curiosity doesn’t always kill a cat.
8. Improve your English while having fun
Lastly, there are many ways one can improve his English, but what’s better than having fun and enjoying the process of learning. There are a lot of people who like music or like watching movies. The best part about learning a language is that one can learn even in their leisure time If one wants to learn through songs and movies then he can improve his listening skills along with his pronunciation. If one wants to do some activity related to vocabulary then he can play crosswords and other puzzles. One can download games on their phone that will help them improve their English. For more ideas on how to make learning fun, click here.
In conclusion, learning a new language is going from knowing to nothing to learning something every day until you achieve your goal. This may take a lot of time, but keeping oneself dedicated can help one achieve their goal quickly. Try to be patient and enjoy the process of learning. Focus on one thing at a time rather than having too many things on your plate.